Miriam Young: Brisbane Thyroid Specialist
The thyroid gland regulates your metabolilism, heart and digestive function, muscle control, brain development and mood.
Dr Miriam Young is a thyroid specialist, and Medical Herbalist based in Brisbane. She has a unique and deep understanding of thyroid function, as well as the various Thyroid disorders and their treatment. Miriam holds a Doctorate in Quantum Counselling and is not a medical doctor. Miriam has worked extensively in thyroid clinics and is passionate about comprehensive thyroid testing.
The thyroid is a small, butterfly-shaped gland located at the base of your neck just below the Adam’s apple. It’s part of an intricate network of glands called the endocrine system.
Your thyroid orchestrates the speed of every metabolic pathway within your body. This includes the speed of your reflexes, detoxification, heart rate, reflexes, digestive function, speed of thought, as well as your metabolism. Thyroid disorders are incredibly common and can result in an under active thyroid (hypothyroid) or an over active thyroid (hyperthyroid).
Symptoms of an under-active thyroid
- Increased sensitivity to cold
- Dry skin
- Weight gain
- Puffy face
- Muscle weakness
- Elevated blood cholesterol level
- Muscle aches, tenderness and stiffness
- Pain, stiffness or swelling in your joints
- Heavier than normal or irregular menstrual periods
- Thinning hair
- Slowed heart rate
- Impaired memory
- Enlarged thyroid gland (goiter)
Symptoms of an over-active thyroid
- Bulging eyes
- Weight loss
- Heat intolerance
- Rapid heart rate
- Anxiety and nervousness
If you suspect you have a thyroid issue, it is essential to seek comprehensive testing and analysis. Make a booking with Brisbane Thyroid Specialist Miriam, today.
Causes of thyroid disorders include
- Iodine deficiency – Your thyroid hormones are made out of iodine, so a deficiency in iodine will result in low thyroid hormone.
- Low Nutrient Status – especially iodine, selenium, zinc, B2, B3, B12, Vitamin C
- Viral Activity – This weakens thyroid function.
- Poor liver function –T4 converts to T3 in the liver, thus, a sluggish liver or any liver disorders, such as raised liver enzymes etc, will greatly impact thyroid health.
- Heavy metals and high toxic load – These can either damage the thyroid, cause autoimmunity, or bind to other essential nutrients and further excrete them out of the body.
- Gut Health: 70% of your immune system lies in the gut, so if there is gut dysbiosis/sibo/candida etc present, this will lessen your ability to absorb nutrients and will provide an environmental beneficial to viral load, which in turn weakens the thyroid.
Miriam typically sees clients who
- Suspect they have a thyroid problem, but their doctor says their TSH is normal.
- Are taking Thyroxine, but it does not make them feel any better.
- Would like to stop taking Thyroxine or do not want to go on it in the first place.
- Have undiagnosed Hashimoto’s Disease.
- Are chronically iodine deficient
- Experience adrenal fatigue
- Have fatty liver, or raised liver enzymes
- Suffer from digestive complaints.
Thyroid disorders need to be treated by a multi-factorial approach. Disorders of the thyroid gland respond very well to herbal and nutritional medicine.
Miriam Young is highly experienced in treating thyroid disorders.